Re: Which is more dangerous...?

Jonathan Clarke (jdac@alphalink.com.au)
Sun, 07 Feb 1999 08:41:49 +1100

It is indeed hard to know how to respond to stuff of this kind. Those of us who
have laboured long to communicate that science and faith are not mutually
antagonistic categories of thought will no doubt find such a things grounds for deep
frustration.

Reflecting on the context raised several unanswered questions. Are the organisers
trying to promote serious discussion? If so why use an approach that smacks more of
a TV debate for entertainment ("who are more intelligent - Californians or New
Yorkers?") than serious discussion? The organisers would appear to happy with
either outcome "region has done more harm than science" or "science has done more
harm than religion". This suggests either the the organisers don't care, or they
are equally hostile to both science and faith and therefore see them as suitable
objects for entertaining derision.

I find it truly tragic that "America's greatest thinker" will be either be someone
who is anti-science or anti faith and, will be celebrated as such This sort of
"thinking" trivialises the issues. Either people who care should leave this well
alone or write essays that step right outside the box and address the real issues.
Issues like how science and faith (specifically Christianity) are complementary, not
contradictory world views. Indeed, that they can be integrated at a metaphysical
level. That the worst abuses of science occur when application science occurs in a
moral vacuum caused by the exclusion of religion. That although many evils have
been done in the name of religion, these fade into insignificance compared to those
inflicted on humanity by ideology (communism, nazism, nationalism, imperialism,
democracy, etc.)

In Christ

Jonathan