Re: Accelerating Expansion of the Universe

Adam Crowl (qraal@hotmail.com)
Mon, 28 Dec 1998 12:19:07 PST

Hi Group,

Oops I sent a reply to Bob DeHaan but not to the list. Can you post it
Bob?

>Date: Sun, 27 Dec 1998 10:50:01 -0500
>To: asa@calvin.edu
>From: Dick Fischer <dfischer@mnsinc.com>
>Subject: Re: Accelerating Expansion of the Universe
>
>Bob DeHaan wrote:
>
>>_Science News_ (Dec. 19 & 26, 1998, pp. 392-4) states, "The expansion
of the
>>universe accelerates rather than slows down" (p. 394).
>
>>Assuming that these findings hold up over time, what are we as
Christians to
>>make of them? What are their theological implications, if any? Do
they have
>>any special meanings for us?
>
>Well, for one thing, it means that even though the universe had a
>beginning, it
>appears to have no end. Our earth will end because the sun will burn
out if
>we aren't all strangled in Styrofoam first. And if the pretorists are
>right (all
>prophecies were fulfilled in 70 AD), we had better figure out
interstellar
>travel
>so we can escape to new solar systems and propagate sin all over the
universe.

>But if Christ returns next year when our computers crash then the
expanding
>universe would seem to be less of a concern than whether we have worked
out
>our salvation to the satisfaction of our Lord. Happy New Year!
>
>Dick Fischer - The Origins Solution - www.orisol.com
>"The answer we should have known about 150 years ago."
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Dick Fischer

Are you sure?

Is the Millennium Bug going to be the trigger to the Apocalypse? Or is
it another over hyped portent? Just like those earthquakes everyone
"knows" are on the increase?

It's funny but I just can't seem to pick up a reference in Revelation to
global computer havoc...

Still got some Christmas cheer running through your veins Dick?

>Office: (703) 633-3853 Mobile: (703) 963-0426

Adam

PS The end of the World has been predicted more often and in more
contexts than can be counted on the fingers and toes of the Mormon
Tabernacle Choir. Why the Bug?