Re: Accelerating Expansion of the Universe

Dick Fischer (dfischer@mnsinc.com)
Sun, 27 Dec 1998 10:50:01 -0500

Bob DeHaan wrote:

>_Science News_ (Dec. 19 & 26, 1998, pp. 392-4) states, "The expansion of the
>universe accelerates rather than slows down" (p. 394).

>Assuming that these findings hold up over time, what are we as Christians to
>make of them? What are their theological implications, if any? Do they have
>any special meanings for us?

Well, for one thing, it means that even though the universe had a
beginning, it
appears to have no end. Our earth will end because the sun will burn out if
we aren't all strangled in Styrofoam first. And if the pretorists are
right (all
prophecies were fulfilled in 70 AD), we had better figure out interstellar
travel
so we can escape to new solar systems and propagate sin all over the universe.

But if Christ returns next year when our computers crash then the expanding
universe would seem to be less of a concern than whether we have worked out
our salvation to the satisfaction of our Lord. Happy New Year!

Dick Fischer - The Origins Solution - www.orisol.com
"The answer we should have known about 150 years ago."

Sincerely,

Dick Fischer
Office: (703) 633-3853 Mobile: (703) 963-0426