Re: Apologetics, Genesis, and C S Lewis

Adam Crowl (qraal@hotmail.com)
Wed, 23 Dec 1998 05:19:58 PST

Hi Group,

Hope I don't sound too aggressive in my reply. I want to hone up our
discussion on these issues, so it's time for some clarification.

>Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 15:05:42 -0500 (EST)
>From: Moorad Alexanian <alexanian@uncwil.edu>
>Subject: Re: Apologetics, Genesis, and C S Lewis
>To: Adam Crowl <qraal@hotmail.com>
>Cc: asa@calvin.edu
>
>Moorad wrote:
>>>I thought the Christian view is that man is mind/body/spirit. Does an
>>ape
>>>have a spirit?
>>>

>Adam wrote:
>>What is spirit? We all [humans and animals]partake of God's Spirit
>>according to the OT - hence spirit is life. Paul says we know our
minds
>>by our spirits - hence it seems to be "consciousness". Are animals
>>conscious and alive? They seem to be, but we know that many brain
>>processes occur without us being aware of them, so maybe animals
aren't
>>aware. Maybe. However spirit seems to be a common possession according
>>to the OT. Our spirit however goes to God at death. Whatever that
means.

>I believe spirit is more than mere life. Life requires body, spirit
does not
>require body but mind--e.g. angels. Spirit is that which allows
>consciousness to know beyond the senses. For instance, the notion of
>Creator, God, etc. are not discerned by mind/body but by the spirit of
man.

Firstly we don't know that angels don't have bodies. They don't have
mortal flesh, but they always appear as corporeal beings. Perhaps
embodiment is essential for mind - though what does that imply about
God? The idea that spirit discerns God but mind does not is hard to
understand considering that the "heart" [OT locus of mind] is invoked so
often in talking about God. Mind is always involved in communion with
God. We are, as Christians, one Spirit with God [a concept left
forgotten in most discussions] so we can share in His mind - we can know
his mind. The spirit involves the faculty of knowing, which includes
consciousness as one of its processes, but it's common to all I think.

>Adam wrote:
>>Bit different from knowing the processes of Creation though. I think
>>that the argument "we don't know, so we can't know - it's a mystery"
is
>>just a cop out. There's no limitation on knowledge that I know of yet
-
>>I don't mean "perfect physical knowledge" that quantum precludes. And
>>don't mean mathematical limits [halting problem, Godel's theorem etc.]
>>mean I don't think there's a domain that we can't grasp or explore.
>>That's my faith-leap on this issue.
>>Others choose God as their Beyond because they can't face the Unknown.
>>But God never said that he'd shield us from such, just that he'd be
with
>>us and he works all towards his end.
>>
>>Adam
>
>Man is embedded in spacetime and God is not. How can man, therefore,
know
>God or even the whole of creation? That is no a cop out but wisdom.

You are right, but perhaps the questions we ask aren't that big that
they need us to encompass all Creation to answer them. According to some
we can understand the overall history of the Universe with just a few
equations - and we don't need all the details to do it. I find our
understanding more a thing of wonder than our ignorance.

Adam