Re: Apologetics, Genesis, and C S Lewis

Moorad Alexanian (alexanian@uncwil.edu)
Tue, 22 Dec 1998 15:05:42 -0500 (EST)

Adam wrote:
>What is spirit? We all [humans and animals]partake of God's Spirit
>according to the OT - hence spirit is life. Paul says we know our minds
>by our spirits - hence it seems to be "consciousness". Are animals
>conscious and alive? They seem to be, but we know that many brain
>processes occur without us being aware of them, so maybe animals aren't
>aware. Maybe. However spirit seems to be a common possession according
>to the OT. Our spirit however goes to God at death. Whatever that means.

I believe spirit is more than mere life. Life requires body, spirit does not
require body but mind--e.g. angels. Spirit is that which allows
consciousness to know beyond the senses. For instance, the notion of
Creator, God, etc. are not discerned by mind/body but by the spirit of man.

Adam wrote:
>Bit different from knowing the processes of Creation though. I think
>that the argument "we don't know, so we can't know - it's a mystery" is
>just a cop out. There's no limitation on knowledge that I know of yet -
>I don't mean "perfect physical knowledge" that quantum precludes. And I
>don't mean mathematical limits [halting problem, Godel's theorem etc.] I
>mean I don't think there's a domain that we can't grasp or explore.
>That's my faith-leap on this issue.
>Others choose God as their Beyond because they can't face the Unknown.
>But God never said that he'd shield us from such, just that he'd be with
>us and he works all towards his end.
>
>Adam

Man is embedded in spacetime and God is not. How can man, therefore, know
God or even the whole of creation? That is no a cop out but wisdom.

Take care,

Moorad