Re: Apologetics, Genesis, and C S Lewis

Moorad Alexanian (
Tue, 22 Dec 1998 15:05:42 -0500 (EST)

Adam wrote:
>What is spirit? We all [humans and animals]partake of God's Spirit
>according to the OT - hence spirit is life. Paul says we know our minds
>by our spirits - hence it seems to be "consciousness". Are animals
>conscious and alive? They seem to be, but we know that many brain
>processes occur without us being aware of them, so maybe animals aren't
>aware. Maybe. However spirit seems to be a common possession according
>to the OT. Our spirit however goes to God at death. Whatever that means.

I believe spirit is more than mere life. Life requires body, spirit does not
require body but mind--e.g. angels. Spirit is that which allows
consciousness to know beyond the senses. For instance, the notion of
Creator, God, etc. are not discerned by mind/body but by the spirit of man.

Adam wrote:
>Bit different from knowing the processes of Creation though. I think
>that the argument "we don't know, so we can't know - it's a mystery" is
>just a cop out. There's no limitation on knowledge that I know of yet -
>I don't mean "perfect physical knowledge" that quantum precludes. And I
>don't mean mathematical limits [halting problem, Godel's theorem etc.] I
>mean I don't think there's a domain that we can't grasp or explore.
>That's my faith-leap on this issue.
>Others choose God as their Beyond because they can't face the Unknown.
>But God never said that he'd shield us from such, just that he'd be with
>us and he works all towards his end.

Man is embedded in spacetime and God is not. How can man, therefore, know
God or even the whole of creation? That is no a cop out but wisdom.

Take care,