Re: evolution method

Robin Mandell (rmandell@jpusa.chi.il.us)
Sun, 20 Dec 1998 16:14:41 -0600

At 01:29 PM 12/20/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Robin Mandell wrote:
>>

>> Good Evening list,
>> I was wondering how different folks felt about separating the theory of
>> descent from common ancestors from the different mechanisms named as the
>> motors of evolution. From a
>> christian perspective I am comfortable with the idea of an unbroken chain
>> of life from simple to man but would still like to remain uncommitted on
>> darwinism as some present it.
>> Do the believers on this list who really grasp biology feel that the
>> evidence for descent
>> and the mechanisms themselves are logically separable or is this wishful
>> thinking?
>
> A bit tangential to your question but I think germane: Many Christians
have
>been able to accept "common descent" but have been uncomfortable with
natural selection
>as its primary mechanism: 19th century liberal theology is an example, as
is to some
>extent Teilhard de Chardin. Something like Lamarck's idea, roughly that
organisms get
>rewarded for trying to survive, is very attractive. It's a kind of
"biological works
>righteousness". I would argue that Darwinism is more in accord with the
biblical
>picture of the God who creates in situations in which we see creation to
be impossible -
>the resurrection of the dead and the justification of the ungodly.
(Romans 4 is a good
>thing to look at here.)
> O.k. In light of Darwinism being "in" help me out on this. Take one
species, say a giraffe. In what way did God create it. Did He guide the
environment, pre-program the nuetral mutations,directly "cause" a
punctuated leap or sit back and let it go creating by advanced splatter
paint. Did he form the concept of "giraffe" after he saw it form outside of
time? Is there a sense of undetermined in: God said be - then he saw and it
was o.k.Was there any wonder in God between the saying and the existing?
Do you follow me on that end part?