Re: evolution method

Pattle Pun (Pattle.P.Pun@wheaton.edu)
Sun, 20 Dec 1998 15:33:14 -0600 (CST)

To me, as a Christian, I found the the idea of an unbroken chain of life
from simple to man limiting the sustaining power of God who can choose to
break this continuity when a higher purpose can be served such as the
Virgin Birth of Christ and His resurrection. As a biologist and a student
of philosophy and theology, I understand that the worldview of the
biologist shapes his/her interpretation of biological evidence. The
mechanism of natural selection which explains variations and speciationw
was taken by Darwin to justify his belief of Common Descent versus the
alternative of Common Descent. Most biologists have come to the
realization that natural selection fails to account for macroevolution.
Some of us believe a time for paradigmatic shift may be at hand and the
model of Intelligent Design, if it is allowed to be develop, may become a
competing worldview to guide future biological research.

On Sun, 20 Dec 1998, Robin Mandell wrote:

> Good Evening list,
> I was wondering how different folks felt about separating the theory of
> descent from common ancestors from the different mechanisms named as the
> motors of evolution. From a
> christian perspective I am comfortable with the idea of an unbroken chain
> of life from simple to man but would still like to remain uncommitted on
> darwinism as some present it.
> Do the believers on this list who really grasp biology feel that the
> evidence for descent
> and the mechanisms themselves are logically separable or is this wishful
> thinking?
> Andrew

Dr. Pattle Pun
Professor of Biology