Re: evolution method

John P. McKiness (jmckines@blue.weeg.uiowa.edu)
Sun, 20 Dec 1998 10:52:29 -0600

Andrew,

At 12:35 AM 12/20/98 -0600, you wrote:

>Good Evening list,
> I was wondering how different folks felt about separating the theory of
>descent from common ancestors from the different mechanisms named as the
>motors of evolution. From a
>christian perspective I am comfortable with the idea of an unbroken chain
>of life from simple to man but would still like to remain uncommitted on
>darwinism as some present it.
>Do the believers on this list who really grasp biology feel that the
>evidence for descent
>and the mechanisms themselves are logically separable or is this wishful
>thinking?
>Andrew

At this point, I would say it is wishful thinking. If you allow common
descent then you need the variation and selection which is produced by your
"motors" to get the variation we see. If you allow the "motors" you get
variation from common ancestors. It is a package deal.

John

John P. McKiness jmckines@blue.weeg.uiowa.edu.us
PO Box 5666 (or) mckiness@avalon.net
Coralville, Iowa 52241

The true ground of most men's prejudice against the Christian
doctrine is because they have no mind to obey it. John Tillotson