Re: origin of life and such

George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 10:47:15 -0500

Robin Mandell wrote:
> > I mean the former. Eph.1:10 states God's goal, & evolution seems to be
> the way
> >in which God is bringing this about.
> George
> Hey would you mind elaborating on eph 1:10 and evolution in connection.

Eph.1:10 says that God's "plan for the fullness of time [is] to unite all things
in [Christ], things in heaven and things on earth." I.e., God's purpose in creation is
accomplished through the Incarnation. Jesus Christ is the reason for the creation of
the universe. (Thus I think that the answer to the medieval question "Would Christ have
come if humanity had not sinned?" is "Yes".)
Now that indicates that God's purpose in creation was not fulfilled all at once
in the beginning. I.e., God did not intend for the universe to be in a state of
unchanging perfection from the start. Time & history are part of creation.
That suggests that some sort of temporal development is intrinsic to God's
intention in creation. It doesn't necessarily imply biological evolution of the sort
that modern theories describe. But since the best scientific evidence indicates that
biological evolution has happened, & is the way that life has developed, we need to try
to see it as part of God's intention described in Ephesians.
Looking at Eph.1:10 in more detail, the Greek verb which RSV translates as
"to unite" is _anakephalaiosasthai_, which can be translated more literally via Latin as
"to recapitulate". I.e., in Christ God intends to "sum up" creation. & in part that
comes about through the "recapitulation" of our evolutionary history which we share with
him in our common humanity. All the anatomical & biochemical & embryological reminders
of our evolutionary history which we carry in our bodies are carried also by God
Incarnate.

George L. Murphy
gmurphy@raex.com
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/