Re: Re: Re: Evolution appears fulfilled

David Campbell (bivalve@mailserv0.isis.unc.edu)
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 14:33:33 -0400

>Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 14:32:58 -0400
>To: Robin Mandell <rmandell@jpusa.chi.il.us>
>From: bivalve@pop.unc.edu (David Campbell)
>Subject: Re: Re: Re: Evolution appears fulfilled
>Bcc:
>>I think I disagree. We describe certain things as higher in form or more
>>sophisticated and other terms. What if these concepts exist on there own
>>somehow outside of just biological human earth talk.Could a "spiritual"
>>being like man not be in tune to
>>those kind of things. I could imagine seeing a painting that contained no
>>blank spaces
>>and discern something missing. I know I am in nebulous land I was hoping to
>>find some concrete. If only Plato were here.

Higher requires a comparison. If we did not have more modern forms to
compare with the older, we would not know that there was somewhere else to
go.

>>>This suggests that if evolution has a goal it would be to generate all the
>>>diversity possible, given carbon-based life. Has that goal been reached?
>>>Denton thinks so.

I do not think so, based on diversity curves. After extinctions, the
diversity of organisms tends to show a gradual rise. Cenozoic glaciations
have occurred too frequently to allow these curves to level off before the
next extinction, at least for shallow-water mollusks in the northwest
Atlantic.

David C.