Re: Re: Evolution appears fulfilled

RDehaan237@aol.com
Wed, 16 Dec 1998 06:59:43 EST

On 12/15/98 I wrote,

<<>Thus Simpson could say, Man is the result of a purposeless and naturalistic
>process that did not have him in mind. He was not planned. He happens to
>represent the highest form of organization of matter and energy that has
>ever appeared In another place he wrote, Evolution has no purpose; man
>must supply this for himself (Simpson, G. G., 1949. The Meaning of
>Evolution. The Yale University Press. New Haven.)

In a message dated 12/15/98 10:46:16 PM, KEITH MILLER wrote:

<<By this statement you deny the possibility of theistic evolution. I
believe that God is in control of _all_ natural processes. If God
controls the casting of lots, or tomorrow's weather, then on what basis can
you state that God cannot control and direct to his purpose evolutionary
processes?

You have accepted a definition of evolution given to us by non-theists. This
allows the atheist to control the debate and determine the agenda.>>

MY REPLY: Sorry, I did not give the complete quotation from Robin Mandell.
Here it is:

"To me it seems like evolution has reached its goal. Not that change has
ceased or nothing is adapting but more like a general plan has reached
fulfillment. It's not like I can't imagine anything more it is something
else. Like a great painting you can imagine a hundred additions but you
know it is done. _Putting the creation story aside,_ does observation of the
past and the present look like that to anyone else or am I just looking at
this through my prejudice."

Robin asked for a non-theistic answer. That is what I gave.

Best regards,

Bob