Re: Evolution appears fulfilled

Keith B Miller (kbmill@ksu.edu)
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 22:51:24 -0600

Bob wrote:

>My understanding of the theory of evolution is that it has no long-range plans
>or goals. What is evolution's goal? There is no general plan that has
>reached fulfillment. If there is one, I would welcome you or someone else
>telling us what it is. Natural selection only works on fortuitous mutations
>that enhance the survival and adaptibility of a given organism in its
>immediate, specific environment, and eventually of a population.
>
>Thus Simpson could say, Man is the result of a purposeless and naturalistic
>process that did not have him in mind. He was not planned.He happens to
>represent the highest form of organization of matter and energy that has
>ever appeared In another place he wrote, Evolution has no purpose; man
>must supply this for himself (Simpson, G. G., 1949. The Meaning of
>Evolution. The Yale University Press. New Haven.)

By this statement you deny the possibility of theistic evolution. I
believe that God is in control of _all_ natural processess. If God
controls the casting of lots, or tomorrow's weather, then on what basis can
you state that God cannot control and direct to his purpose evolutionary
processes?

You have accepted a definition of evolution given to us by non-theists.
This allows the atheist to control the debate and determine the agenda.

Keith

Keith B. Miller
Department of Geology
Kansas State University