Re: Re: Evolution appears fulfilled

Moorad Alexanian (alexanian@UNCWIL.EDU)
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 15:33:03 -0500 (EST)

At 07:17 AM 12/15/98 -0500, RDehaan237@aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 12/15/98 2:03:32 AM,Jonathan wrote:
>
><<Robin Mandell wrote:
>
>> I can't help it. Yet another half formed question.
>> To me it seems like evolution has reached its goal. Not that change
>has
>> ceased or nothing is adapting but more like a general plan has reached
>
>> fulfillment. >>
>
>jonathan and Robin,
>
>My understanding of the theory of evolution is that it has no long-range plans
>or goals. What is evolution's goal? There is no general plan that has
>reached fulfillment. If there is one, I would welcome you or someone else
>telling us what it is. Natural selection only works on fortuitous mutations
>that enhance the survival and adaptibility of a given organism in its
>immediate, specific environment, and eventually of a population.
>
>Thus Simpson could say, “Man is the result of a purposeless and naturalistic
>process that did not have him in mind. He was not planned.…He happens to
>represent the highest form of organization of matter and energy that has
>ever appeared” In another place he wrote, “Evolution has no purpose; man
>must supply this for himself” (Simpson, G. G., 1949. The Meaning of
>Evolution. The Yale University Press. New Haven.)
>
>Regards,
>
>Bob

Dear Bob,

Let me see if what you say makes sense. "My understanding of the theory of
relativity is that it has no long-range plans or goals." Doesn't that sound
strange when you use a real scientific theory in that sentence. What does it
mean to say that man was not planned yet he is? This all sound rather
strange talk for what purports to be science. Either a theory makes
predications of the possible occurrence of man or else this is all
concocting "theories" after the facts.

Take care,

Moorad