Re: Evolution appears fulfilled

George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 07:43:03 -0500

RDehaan237@aol.com wrote:
> My understanding of the theory of evolution is that it has no long-range plans
> or goals. What is evolution's goal? There is no general plan that has
> reached fulfillment. If there is one, I would welcome you or someone else
> telling us what it is. Natural selection only works on fortuitous mutations
> that enhance the survival and adaptibility of a given organism in its
> immediate, specific environment, and eventually of a population.
>
> Thus Simpson could say, “Man is the result of a purposeless and naturalistic
> process that did not have him in mind. He was not planned.…He happens to
> represent the highest form of organization of matter and energy that has
> ever appeared” In another place he wrote, “Evolution has no purpose; man
> must supply this for himself” (Simpson, G. G., 1949. The Meaning of
> Evolution. The Yale University Press. New Haven.)

Of course this is true from a purely scientific standpoint. But when we try to
understand evolution theologically we should view it in the light of revelation. When
we do that we see the goal of evolution not simply as humanity but as the Incarnation,
for which the evolution of an intelligent species is preparation.
Simpson would see this as an example of man supplying a meaning for himself. If
we believe that revelation is revelation, we see it as God telling us the meaning.

Shalom,
George
George L. Murphy
gmurphy@raex.com