Re: Re: Evolution appears fulfilled

RDehaan237@aol.com
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 07:17:52 EST

In a message dated 12/15/98 2:03:32 AM,Jonathan wrote:

<<Robin Mandell wrote:

> I can't help it. Yet another half formed question.
> To me it seems like evolution has reached its goal. Not that change
has
> ceased or nothing is adapting but more like a general plan has reached

> fulfillment. >>

jonathan and Robin,

My understanding of the theory of evolution is that it has no long-range plans
or goals. What is evolution's goal? There is no general plan that has
reached fulfillment. If there is one, I would welcome you or someone else
telling us what it is. Natural selection only works on fortuitous mutations
that enhance the survival and adaptibility of a given organism in its
immediate, specific environment, and eventually of a population.

Thus Simpson could say, “Man is the result of a purposeless and naturalistic
process that did not have him in mind. He was not planned.…He happens to
represent the highest form of organization of matter and energy that has
ever appeared” In another place he wrote, “Evolution has no purpose; man
must supply this for himself” (Simpson, G. G., 1949. The Meaning of
Evolution. The Yale University Press. New Haven.)

Regards,

Bob