Re: Apologetics, Genesis, and C S Lewis

Adam Crowl (qraal@hotmail.com)
Sat, 12 Dec 1998 04:33:33 PST

>Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 08:58:40 -0500 (EST)
>From: Moorad Alexanian <alexanian@UNCWIL.EDU>
>Subject: Re: Apologetics, Genesis, and C S Lewis
>To: ecphora@mailserv0.isis.unc.edu (David Campbell)
>Cc: asa@calvin.edu
>
>The statement that man descends from lower forms of life, e.g. apes, is
>macroevolution. That is to say, there is a change in kind not merely in
degree.

In kind? In what way? Certainly not physically. The only significant
difference is in brain and mind. But in what way? Certainly nothiong
about us is exceptional except for the rather puzzling brain expansion -
all else is the end product of a long process of quasi-biological
cultural evolution.

>The notion of "God of the gaps" intrigues me. It is often said, in a
>positive fashion, that people meet God when they find themselves in
>desperate situations when all other sorts of help have failed--e.g. the
rich
>person who becomes destitute and then turns to God and his life is
radically
>changed. Now if in this instance such a need for God is praised, why is
the
>same situation--when it arises in the attempt of explaining the
physical
>universe--characterized in the negative fashion of "God of the gaps?"

One need is a failure to cope when faced with something beyond the
individual's ability. The other is a failure of imagination by an
individual - a somewhat different situation. But the real issue is, as
another has mentioned, bad theology. Do we believe that God acts in some
situations and not others? No. Instead we hold that God is in all
situations - God's actions are "Nature", miracle or otherwise. Miracles
are usually natural events that are timed well, or given new meaning by
the context. Should we expect any less of God in the past?

Adam