Re: Apologetics, Genesis, and C S Lewis

Moorad Alexanian (alexanian@UNCWIL.EDU)
Tue, 08 Dec 1998 08:36:45 -0500 (EST)

At 07:18 AM 12/8/98 -0500, George Murphy wrote:
>Jonathan Clarke wrote:
>>
>> Moorad Alexanian wrote (in part) :
>
>> > Richard Dawkins, famed author of "The Blind Watchmaker," has said that
>> > Darwin made it possible to be an "intellectually fulfilled atheist."
>> People were intellectually fulfilled atheists long before Darwin! What about
>> Lucretius, Hume, and Marx?
>
> But Marx & Engels were very happy to hear of Darwin's theory because they
>thought it gave strong support to their views.
>
>> > The evidence for evolutionary transition of humans from apelike
ancestors is
>> > not abundant enough to conclude, beyond a reasonable doubt, that it has
>> > occurred. That is why the overwhelming majority of Americans still believe
>> > in a Creator.
>>
>> The evidence for an evolutionary transformation of humans (as far as I
can tell) is
>> as well documented as for any other species. Whether is is abundant
enough to
>> conclude "beyond reasonable doubt" is obviously debatable. People have
different
>> criteria for this. ............................
>
> The use of the phrase "beyond a reasonable doubt" is a giveaway. It is a term
>of jurisprudence, a criterion for particular classes of legal cases. The
fact that
>different rules of evidence are used in different fields needs to be
stressed. Ignoring
>this fact leads lawyers like P. Johnson to think that they are experts on
scientific
>evidence.
>
>George L. Murphy
>gmurphy@raex.com
>http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/

Dear George,

I was contrasting "beyond a reasonable doubt" to "the preponderance of
evidence."

Thank you for your always wise comments,

Moorad

p.s. Our local newspaper does not have an archive on their web site and so I
cannot post their editorial which prompted my letter. One must read what
they wrote to appreciate the tone of my letter.