Re: Apologetics, Genesis, and C S Lewis

George Murphy (gmurphy@raex.com)
Tue, 08 Dec 1998 07:18:35 -0500

Jonathan Clarke wrote:

> Moorad Alexanian wrote (in part) :

> > Richard Dawkins, famed author of "The Blind Watchmaker," has said that
> > Darwin made it possible to be an "intellectually fulfilled atheist." ..............................
> People were intellectually fulfilled atheists long before Darwin! What about
> Lucretius, Hume, and Marx?

But Marx & Engels were very happy to hear of Darwin's theory because they
thought it gave strong support to their views.

> > The evidence for evolutionary transition of humans from apelike ancestors is
> > not abundant enough to conclude, beyond a reasonable doubt, that it has
> > occurred. That is why the overwhelming majority of Americans still believe
> > in a Creator.
>
> The evidence for an evolutionary transformation of humans (as far as I can tell) is
> as well documented as for any other species. Whether is is abundant enough to
> conclude "beyond reasonable doubt" is obviously debatable. People have different

The use of the phrase "beyond a reasonable doubt" is a giveaway. It is a term
of jurisprudence, a criterion for particular classes of legal cases. The fact that
different rules of evidence are used in different fields needs to be stressed. Ignoring
this fact leads lawyers like P. Johnson to think that they are experts on scientific
evidence.

George L. Murphy
gmurphy@raex.com
http://web.raex.com/~gmurphy/