Re: Scientists reject God

Moorad Alexanian (alexanian@UNCWIL.EDU)
Tue, 01 Dec 1998 14:14:16 -0500 (EST)

At 09:22 AM 12/1/98 -0800, Arthur V. Chadwick wrote:
>We have discussed various aspects of belief and science before on the
>listserve, but these are the most depressing statistics I have come across.
> For those interested, the entire article can be seen at the address below.
>
>Nature 394, 313 (1998) Macmillan Publishers Ltd.
>
>Leading scientists still reject God
>
>Our chosen group of "greater" scientists were members
>of the National Academy of Sciences (NAS). Our survey
>found near universal rejection of the transcendent by
>NAS natural scientists. Disbelief in God and immortality
>among NAS biological scientists was 65.2% and 69.0%,
>respectively, and among NAS physical scientists it was
>79.0% and 76.3%. Most of the rest were agnostics on
>both issues, with few believers. We found the highest
>percentage of belief among NAS mathematicians (14.3%
>in God, 15.0% in immortality). Biological scientists had
>the lowest rate of belief (5.5% in God, 7.1% in
>immortality), with physicists and astronomers slightly
>higher (7.5% in God, 7.5% in immortality). Overall
>comparison figures for the 1914, 1933 and 1998 surveys
>appear in Table 1.
>
>http://www.nature.com/server-java/Propub/nature/394313A0.frameset?context=toc
>Art
>http://biology.swau.edu

I believe there are professions where belief in God would create fundamental
changes in the way the practitioner of that profession views his/her field
of study. If a mathematician or a physicist who is an atheist, becomes a
theist, then there is no clash with the basic premises of his/her
profession. However, sociologists, psychologists, etc., even some biologists
would find it difficult to continue to uphold some of the basic tenets of
their profession or even continue as a practitioner of that field of study.
Our universities are in the hands of people who mock religion and make it
hard for students to continue holding to the beliefs they come to school
with. Scientists are like anybody else. They can be just as wrong as the
next fellow. Remember "Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide
and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter
through it. For the gate is small and the way is narrow that leads to life,
and there are few who find it." Matt.7:13-14.

Moorad