Re: Scientists reject God

Jonathan Arm (jarm@rics.bwh.harvard.edu)
Tue, 01 Dec 1998 12:54:38 -0500

At 08:56 AM 12/1/98 -0800, you wrote:
>At 09:22 AM 12/1/98 -0800, Arthur Chadwick wrote:

snip..snip..

>>Leading scientists still reject God
>>
>> snip..snip..
>
>>However, I suspect more of this difference is due to a lower likelihood
>>of Christians in science achieving "leading" status. Things today are
>>not like they were early in the century when talent and a little hard
>>work could bring a scientist to "leading" status. Now, it tends to take
>>talent, a *lot* of hard work, and often a good amount of self-promotion.
>>Because Christians will (we hope) have other priorities besides worldly
>>success, they will be less likely to exhibit the sort of single-minded,
>>non-humble, workaholic pursuit that tends to be required (there are, of
>>course, exceptions) to make a scientist "leading". My semi-informed
>>guess is that this sort of self-selection is the biggest reason for the
>>disparity in the numbers.

I am inclined to agree. As i spend longer in this business, the harder it
gets!
I would ask whether there is a cultural bias in the survey. As I look at
the leadership of CiS, I see a number of FRS. What would be results of
surveying the Fellows of the Royal Society? Or perhaps this was covered in
the original text.

>I would add that I think another factor in the level of unbelief among
>scientists, leading and otherwise, is the hostility toward science in
>much of the Evangelical church. A youngster brought up on ICR propaganda
>is not going to want to join "the enemy" when he or she grows up.

Well, that's another problem - we are regarded as the enemy by both camps!

Jonathan Arm

Jonathan P. Arm, M.D.
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Division of Rheumatology, Immunology, and Allergy
Brigham and Women's Hospital
Smith Research Building, Room 638B
One, Jimmy Fund Way
Boston