Re: Apologetics, Genesis, and C.S. Lewis

George Murphy (
Tue, 24 Nov 1998 21:31:25 -0500

Glenn R. Morton wrote:
> Of Geologists,
> At 12:19 PM 11/24/98 -0500, Steven H. Schimmrich wrote:
> > They find it scientifically absurd because they're making the same mistake
> >the YECs do - they are reading it too literally and missing the point. But
> >I know we can go on and on and on with this back and forth (as we've seen :).
> And when I suggest that they read it in the allegorical manner, they laugh,
> and laugh and laugh. So that doesn't seem to be an effective strategy
> either.

Please, please, please! Can we drop the antithesis "literal-allegorical"? Very few
modern theologians want to use allegory as a primary way of interpreting scripture. Not
all figurative language is "allegorical" in the narrow sense. Most scientists & many
other people will be turned off by a detailed allegorical exegesis of Scripture. That
doesn't mean that they will be turned off by all attempts to understand it

George L. Murphy