Re: Debate with Moorad

Stephen F. Schaffner (sschaff@SLAC.Stanford.EDU)
Mon, 02 Nov 1998 13:32:48 -0800 (PST)

Burgy wrote:

> I meant "evolution-in-the-full-sense" to specifically include
> abiogenesis, of course, and not any particular theory. In particular, I
> do not
> include in it the theory of common descent.

I think you would be better off coming up with a new name for your
concept then, since it specifically includes abiogenesis, which is not
normally included by biologists' use of the term (if I understand their
usage correctly), and need include (as far as I can tell) nothing at all
that _is_ normally covered by their usage. I think most biologists would
be rather puzzled if, say, you told them that common descent and
descent with modification were both falsifiable, but that evolution
was not.

Steve Schaffner