Re: Leibniz, Newton and the "giftedness" of creation

Bill Hamilton (
Mon, 21 Sep 1998 16:43:20 -0400

At 02:56 PM 9/21/98 -0400, Ted Davis wrote:
>The more things change, the more they stay the same. But you'd expect an
>historian to think that, wouldn't you?
>In these interesting discussions of the "giftedness" of creation and whether
>or not God "intervenes" and, if so, whether those actions are "planned" in
>advance, I hear the same ground being gone over, the same ground that Newton
>and Leibniz fought over in the early 18th century. I can't quickly
>summarize here what they argued about -- "concluded" would not be accurate,
>any more than it would apply to this discussion now -- but I can point
>interested parties to H.G. Alexander, ed. The Leibniz-Clarke Correspondence
>(Manchester 1956). The entire volume is highly relevant. The only "new"
>thing I see here is the very helpful terminology provided by Howard Van
>Till, who refers to what Leibniz thought of as the perfection of God's plan
>for creation as "giftedness."
>Ted Davis
For those interested, there is a new paperback edition of this book,
published in 1998. has it in their catalog.

Thanks, Ted

Bill Hamilton
William E. Hamilton, Jr., Ph.D.
Staff Research Engineer
Chassis and Vehicle Systems MC 480-106-390
GM R&D Center
30500 Mound Road
Warren, MI / (home)