Re: evidence for the Trinity

George Andrews (andrewsg@letu.edu)
Tue, 10 Feb 1998 15:16:08 -0600

--------------098DB2F240BCD7565E6823BC

American Scientific Affiliation wrote:

> >Hello. I am an aspiring Christian apologist with many skeptical friends.
> >I already know many arguments for the existence of God (teleological,
> >cosmological, etc.) and even some arguments that there is only ONE God,
> >not many. My question is, without using the Bible, what logical
> >arguments could be offered to show that there is One God in N Divine
> >Persons.

It is my opinion that "without the Bible," no logical arguments could be
offered for even the existence of a god let alone a "N-atarian" one. Logic
is not worthy of such a task for what is considered logical is always a
function of the data set - further evidence or improved argumentation often
transform once reasonable arguments into ludicrous ones. More importantly.
any formal logical system so constructed may posses antinomies, viz. Godel
incompleteness.

Belief in the Triune God - as revealed in scripture - ought to be considered
as "properly basic" (Plantinga) and therefore establishes the primacy of
faith and the role of revelation in regards to the question of God and
His/Her Person.

> The next "proof" after this that I am looking for is to show
> >that N = 3. At this point, I am not really looking for a proof of the
> >exact Trinity of Christianity (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit), but just a
> >"general" God in N divine persons where N could eventually be shown to
> >be 3. It seems to me that perhaps if you could show God in 3 dimensions
> >of time (corresponding to our notions of past, present, and future),

What you are doing is attempting to reason via analogy to physical
concepts. Such analogies can never be taken literally for to do so would
destroy the argument. Hence, "proof" by correspondence is not possible;
however, it does aid communication. God's omnipresence and temporal infinity
are theological notions gleaned from revelation which may or may not have
projections in the created universe. I -for one - do not advice reversing
the arguments for than you are attempting to derive infinities induced from
finites.

Sincerely;

George. A.

--