RE: HistoryOfScienceBooks

Hofmann, James (jhofmann@Exchange.FULLERTON.EDU)
Thu, 11 Dec 1997 19:39:06 -0800

I'm not sure what is meant by a "secular author", but there is an
enormous literature on the religious factor in the scientific
revolution. Two volumes that I have in front of me are Richard
Westfall's Science and Religion in Seventeenth Century England, and R.
Hooykaas' Religion and the Rise of Modern Science. I'm coming in in the
middle of this thread, so my apologies if these authors have already
been discussed.
Jim Hofmann
Cal State Fullerton

From: RDehaan237
Sent: 12/10/97 3:40:19 AM
Subject: HistoryOfScienceBooks

In earlier posts I asked for titles by secular historians of science
acknowledged the role played by Christianity in the rise of science in
West. Thanks for the references some of you sent. But they are
precious few.

In the Encyclopedia Britannica I found an impressive bibliography of
works on
the history of science, several were multivolume works. Not being a
of science, I did not recognize the authors. There was nothing,
however, by
Reijer Hooykaas. Since this is not my field, however, I don't feel I
pursue further whether the inclusion of the church's influence on the
of science is generally ignored or down-played in standard works on the
history of science. My gut feeling is that it is.

But this may be changing. The December 6 issue of *Science News*
the following book: *The Dancing Universe: From Creation Myths to the
Bang*, by Marcelo Gleiser. The book is described as follows: "Tackling
sticky subject of the connection between spirituality and modern
cosmology is
Dartmouth physics professor Gleiser. He skillfully shows how the
beliefs and convictions of Copernicus, Galileo, Newton, and Einstein
influenced their work on how those elements overlap in the advancement
concepts such as quantum mechanics and particle physics. By classifying
different creation concepts according to whether they assume a
beginning in
time or instead focus on an eternal universe, he traces the links
ancient philosophy, Hinduism, and the like and modern cosmology.
1997, 338 p., hardcover, $27.95."