Re: Widespread depositional systems (was re: inference)

Glenn Morton (
Thu, 20 Nov 1997 17:57:42 -0600

At 08:02 PM 11/19/97 -0600, Karen G. Jensen wrote:

>I didn't mean to imply that there were no vast sediments today, but I
>wondered what you thought about such deposits as the Shinarump
>Clonglomerate over such a wide area, not in a linear band like a riverbed
>or a shoreline, hundreds of miles across. Conditions today are not
>depositing anything like that. (You wouldn't call the Antarctic glacial
>conglomerates similar, would you?)

I have never studied the Shinarump so maybe I better dig into the books. I
would make the comment that the Antarctic glacial deposits are different
from the Shinarump as I understand it, but surrounding Antarctica is a
region of conglomerate deposition.

Foundation, Fall and Flood