Re: ASA News Releases

Joel Duff (
Thu, 4 Sep 1997 13:06:39 -0500 (CDT)

Terry Gray wrote:
>My only reaction is that I'm not so sure that I want ASA so tightly linked
>to the the Mike Behe/Phil Johnson/Intelligent Design agenda. What you've
>written is fine as your perspective-- but I have strong disagreements with
>Behe, Johnson, and even Wiester. As far as I'm aware the only stance that
>the ASA takes is that we would if we accept evolution, which some but not
>all do, we believe that it is a God-guided process. But even there, the
>God-guided process may look to the scientific observer no different from a
>purposeless, unguided process. This is where my disagreement with Behe and
>Johnson come in--and where your news release supports them. They seem to
>deny that God-guided evolution might look just like purposeless, unguided
>evolution to the scientific observer and that there are serious flaws in
>evolutionary theory. I and many in the ASA disagree with this.

I would have to say dittos to everthing Terry has expressed here. I do
like the idea of press releases and think ASA should be more active and
visible in the public arena. But, I think our role here may have to be
left at simply articulating our objections to what we believe to be a wrong
understanding of natural history/creation and less emphasis on particular
hypothesis we wish to replace that with, since it doesn't necessarily
represent us all.

Postdoctoral Research Associate
Dpt. Plant Biology, Southern Illinois University

Joel and Dawn Duff / | ' \ Spell Check?
Carbondale IL 62901 ( ) 0