Re: Two kinds of theistic science?

Murphy (
Tue, 11 Mar 1997 17:33:09 -0500

David Bowman wrote:
> George Murphy wrote:
> > Well, yeah. Orthodox Jews & Christians both await the coming of
> >the Messiah. Christians know who it will be. ....
> As I recall shiite muslims are also awaiting the coming of the Mahdi (a
> messiah-like figure the doctrine of which seems to have been imported into
> Islam from a mutation of the Christian doctrine of the 2nd Advent of Christ).

Remember also that in Islam Jesus is believed to be the Messiah
& that he will be the judge at the last Judgment (though I'm not sure
whether or not the latter is in the Qu'ran). Orthodox Muslims have in
some ways a higher christology than some (N.B.!) liberal Christians -
though this is mitigated by belief that Jesus didn't die on the cross.
George Murphy