Re: Count sheep, anyone?

Gene Dunbar Godbold (
Tue, 25 Feb 1997 17:03:55 -0500 (EST)

> On Tue, 25 Feb 1997, Scott A. Oakman wrote:

> > Agree or disagree? Is a cloned baby just another human baby, no more or less
> > individual than a baby conceived in the traditional way, or by in vitro
> > fertilization?

According to Rodney Dunning:
> I think only the cloned person can answer that question. But I do worry
> about the sense of identity and self-worth of person whose "parent" is
> also their twin. I'm also concerned about such a person's sense of
> control over their life, given that a genetically identical person has
> already lived before them.

I think the clone might be curious about his twin out-of-time as it were,
but I don't think the existence of the previous being necessarily has to
set up some neuroses or something in the clone...unless you cloned a
neurotic, of course!

> But my biggest fear is for those of us on the "producing" end of cloned
> humans. Will we as an entire planet have to learn the painful lesson
> many individual parents must one day face, that we cannot force our
> "children" to realize our shattered dreams on our behalf?

Maybe they don't have shattered dreams...Seriously, though, the people who
do the cloning aren't going to do the my experience most male
Ob/Gyns don't deliver their own children.

Gene D. Godbold, Ph.D. Lab: 804 924-5167
Research Associate Desk: 804 243-2764
Div. Infectious Disease Home: 804 973-6913
Dept. Internal Medicine Fax: 804 924-7500
MR4 Bldg, Room 2115 email:
300 Park Place
Charlottesville, VA 22908