Re: What is ID?

Terry M. Gray (
Tue, 10 Dec 1996 16:17:51 -0500

Allan Harvey wrote:

>However, somebody on the Evolution reflector raised a point which (despite
>my sympathy for van Till's position) I think deserves some discussion here.
>As Christians, we affirm that *salvation* history IS (at least from the
>viewpoint of human history) "interventionist", in that God bridged a
>specific gap almost 2000 years ago. One even hears the "Couldn't God have
>done it right from the beginning?" question with regard to salvation. Of
>course there are reasonable answers to that question. But, for our current
>discussion, can anybody point out some fundamental difference that would
>make "interventionism" less theologically acceptable for the Earth's
>formational history than it is for salvation history?

The work of Christ is not "interventionist"--it was planned from before the
foundation of the world. No, I can't answer all the "problem of evil"
questions that might arise here. I simply must say that God did what he
did for his own good pleasure and glory. (Sorry, if my Calvinistic
prejudices are showing through again.)

Terry M. Gray, Ph.D. Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
Calvin College 3201 Burton SE Grand Rapids, MI 40546
Office: (616) 957-7187 FAX: (616) 957-6501

*This mission critical message was written on a Macintosh with Eudora Pro*

A special message for Macintosh naysayers: