PointOfNetiquette? (fwd)

Joel Cannon (cannon@alpha.centenary.edu)
Mon, 29 Jul 1996 08:35:14 -0600 (CDT)

> When I get email from the ASA mailing list, I cannot reply directly to the
> ASA mailing list. Instead, my email software has me replying to the
> author of the message. I can, after replying to the author, forward a copy
> of my response to the ASA mailing list.

My mailer ("elm" on unix), and I suspect most mailers read the line of
the mail header which has "From:" when doing reply. The line of the
header with which says "From owner-asa@udomo.calvin.edu" has no colon.
In this case it will always pick up the person who posts to the list
(See header below). Note: Your mailer may not show the mail header
unless you specifically ask to see it (mine doesn't), but something
like this is at the top of each message you receive.

If I want to reply to the whole list, I use the forward feature and
forward to asa@calvin.edu. I'm sure there is a way around it but its
probably more trouble than it is worth.

> From owner-asa@udomo.calvin.edu Sun Jul 28 23:11:41 1996
> Date: 28 Jul 96 23:21:27 EDT