Re: Gay Marriage

Bill Hamilton (hamilton@predator.cs.gmr.com)
Mon, 15 Jul 1996 12:47:11 -0400

John W. Burgeson wrote:

>Joe Carson wrote (and Bill Hamilton, Jr. concurred withe his statement):
>"But when I read the paper about debate in Congress about gay-marriages, I
>think it's high-time for us to seek constructive ways to share our faith
>within our professions."

I'll have to admit that mentally I attached some other pet concerns to "gay
marriages". I interpreted it as "gay marriages + ...". Maybe I
overinterpreted. In any case, it's always good (and Scriptural) to share
our faith with others in (and out of) our professions. And, as a side
benefit, if our witnessing bears enough fruit to significantly increase the
number of Christians, then we could hope that some problems such as child
abuse, rape, assault and other violent crimes that plague society would
decline,

So far as gay marriage itself is concerned, I don't have much in the way of
answers. The state regulates heterosexual marriage chiefly because it has
a legitimate interest in the welfare of children. Based on that
consideration, I don't see why the state should license gay marriage. It
seems to me that one reason gay couples might want state recognition of
their status is to be able to get the same dependent benefits from
employers that heterosexual married couples get. However, no one is
preventing employers now from establishing such benefits. Some already
have. I'd rather have employers free to work out their own policies rather
than force them into an expansion of benefits whose future course is
unpredictable.

John's points about hospital visitation are good ones. I know three single
men who share a house. They aren't homosexual, just good friends who
happen to be batchelors. By sharing a house they can have the kind of
living quarters they want at the price they are willing to pay, and they
have companionship. If one of them were hospitalized, I am sure the others
would want to visit and would be quite frustrated if "family members only"
rules kept them out.

Bill Hamilton | Chassis & Vehicle Systems
GM R&D Center | Warren, MI 48090-9055
810 986 1474 (voice) | 810 986 3003 (FAX)
hamilton@gmr.com (office) | whamilto@mich.com (home)