Re: On an ASA SIG

Bill Hamilton (whamilto@mich.com)
Sun, 14 Jul 1996 04:58:05 -0400

Joseph Carson wrote:

>At this point, I'm not sure what, if any, legal issues are involved.
>Perhaps the Societies are on well-founded legal ground, perhaps their
>position is completely untenable under current legal rulings, perhaps it's
>real murky - I don't know, but wouldn't we all be better off to know?

Certainly. However, I'm sure the Rutherford Institute is stretching
limited resources to help Christians who are in more immediate danger than
we are. Still, it makes sense to ask Mr. Whitehead for his advice, and
more than that if it's appropriate and he can do it.

>Most engineers have "complaint" personalities - we like to follow rules. I
>don't know what the "rules" are or their basis at this point, I don't view
>myself as very creative, so I assume that someone has asked similar
>questions before, and I'd like to find out what the answer was. Then we
>could make a better informed decision about possible courses of action, if
>any action then appears warranted.

Fair 'nuff. If we were to find out that the societies are in any way
vulnerable to legal action, simply being informed that that is the case
might move some of them to favorably consider a change.

>I completely agree that before embarking on a course involving a lawsuit,
>there would have to be a lot of discussion, prayer, and evaluation.

Good.

>But when I read the paper about debate in Congress about gay-marriages, I
>think it's high-time for us to seek constructive ways to share our faith
>within our professions.

Also agreed.

William E. Hamilton, Jr., Ph.D.
1346 W. Fairview Lane