Re: Dating Adam

Dick Fischer (
Sun, 02 Jun 1996 12:27:36 -0500

Robert wrote:

Dick Fischer has frequently cited the hebrew words adam and ish to support a
>distinction between adamites and the rest of human kind. I decided to look up
>the words in Harris, Archer & Waltke's Theological Wordbook of the Old

Please remember that it is largely theologians who have gotten us into this
mess, and have made no efforts to extract us.

I wanted to point another of Paul's commentaries
>not often cited, that more or less parallels Rom 5. In Acts 17, Paul's
sermon on
>Mars hill, he says, "The God who made the world and everything in it is the
>of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. ...From
one man
>he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth:and he
>determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live.
>God did this so that men would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find

The King James says one "blood." We are all of one blood, or species,
that's true. Gorillas are also of one blood. I see no conflict unless one
wanted to read "Adam" into this passage and contend that was Paul's
intention, as has been done, I might add.

>As a retired teacher I feel keenly the lack of materials available for teachers
>in public schools, that take a rational approach to creation and science,
>especially when I saw the tables loaded with curriculum materials from ICR at a
>recent presentation at my church. Is there no hope?

Bob, I think there is hope, but we who are working the hardest at resolution
are so very divided. We speak not with one voice as the young-earth types
do, but with a myriad of different voices and opposing views. Recognizing
the ancient age of the earth and its implications opens the door to various
methodologies. Some work to a degree and some come close. Personally, I am
trying to open a school of thought that avoids the pitfalls that have beset
us. It is fraught with difficulties as you can see in this forum. I think
the methodology I have spelled out, albeit piecemeal, has the best chance at
ultimate survival, but I may not live long enough to see the day.

Dick Fischer
* *
* *
* An Answer in the Creation - Evolution Debate *
* *
* Web page - *
* *